Saturday, November 12, 2011

What Do You Get?

What passes on to your children?
Is it what you say or what you do?
Or is it something intangible,
Inside of you?

Do they pull out of your essence,
Both the good and the bad,
Regardless of how close you are?
The apple doesn't fall far from dad.

No one really knows,
No matter how much evidence they dig up.
Everyone's in this world alone,
No matter their make-up.

And they're alright,
With or without their parents.
It's whether you want to be there to see,
Their inheritance.

1 comment:

sheree said...

I wrote this a while ago It's about accepting letting go of children. . our roles change ... but love and the desire to help/nurture, be needed -- well, does not really ever leave ... here it is ... .. kind of sad ...

When I was mother of babies,
I rocked them,made things better
When I was mother of toddlers
I helped them with... whatever
When I was the mother of teens
I prayed when they went wild
Now I am the mother of men
Helpless as a child.