Sunday, April 14, 2013

Church


I went to church today,
I think it was Baptist,
They welcomed me with open arms and minds,
And a warm interest.

The band rocked the house with songs of worship,
Then the hat was passed 'round,
A pause to meet the person next to you,
The pastor asked where I'm usually found.

His sermon promoted humility,
See Philipp'ans two,
Jesus gave up his divine priv'leges,
Though he's better than you.

And all I thought,
Was, "That is good advice",
But I don't need to come here to be told,
That common sense was invented by Christ.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Dear Mr. Lettertree,
I thought long and hard about what you said. And many things came to mind. Enough for an entire conversation most likely, but I get the feeling you would have tried to talk over me, and I love you for thinking you could.
So I turned to my bible, which I first had to find. My wife had place it out of plain site, as if it were offensive or controversial material. I flipped through the pages, making sure to stay near the back, you know where Jesus lives, and let 'chance' show me the way.
My finger landed on this, so I guess this is how I am supposed respond to your "Church" thought:

ACTS 6: 7
And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.